Tuesday 5 March 2019

Rejection and fighting back - by Anonymous

Rejection can come from relationships, family, friends, work, religion etc.
As a musical theatre performer, I deal with rejection on a daily basis. Rejection is a part of my day to day life, you could say rejection is a close friend to me, I see him often, sometimes when I don't want to see him and sometimes I welcome him in with open arms (strange I know). 
Rejection is a part of my job
grayscale photo of man holding his arm
Now rejection is a part of my job and that’s something I’ve had to get used too. I go to auditions for big west end shows weekly and will give it everything in a routine, my body dripping with sweat and extremely fatigued. Fighting against another 30 boys in the room for maybe one job, to be told “Thanks, that’s all we need for today”. It’s tough.

Going on to a personal level, I have felt rejection from relationships that broke me so much it changed my view of life and how I saw the world which is pretty intense, sometimes the world can be a dark place and when you find that, that one special person also doesn’t want you… its damaging.

I am a proud man of faith and hold it close to my heart but even in a place I call safe it has shown rejection. Being a gay man and a man of faith isn’t exactly idealistic in the eyes of the church and with many evangelists around the world proclaiming that all gays will burn in the flames of hell, well, you could say that’s a slap of rejection from a community that claim to love and accept all. This is not to say I feel rejection from God/Christ himself this is a strict view on some of the community members of some churches worldwide. 

Let’s get real here

So, after venting my guts up about my previous rejections. I want to make one thing clear…

The definition of Rejection according to Google is: 

"the dismissing or refusing of a proposal, idea, etc.”

The idea of dismissing an idea or closing a door as such has always taught me that ( and I know its super cliché ) when one door closes another door opens. I have found that rejection not only has made my skin so tough that a spear couldn’t break through these dragons’ scales but that I am ready to face my next challenge in this world and can feel myself become stronger and stronger each day.  

Rejection isn't a closing of an opportunity and I can tell you right now, hand on heart… each rejection has a lesson, a new opportunity or a gift to be given. It is not the end, it is never the end. It’s the beginning of something.

Going back to each of my previous vents… here is the outcome of each of those rejections..

  • I was rejected from a UK Tour of my dream musical show because I was told I was “Too Skinny” - I am now in the best shape possible and have just finished being a part of the Original Cast of Hairspray for Royal Caribbean.
  • I was rejected from a partner who told me “I was too emotional and dramatic” - I am now talking to a decent person who accepts my over thinking and have good hopes for the future.
  • A Christian couple told me that I must renounce my homosexuality to be closer to God - I am now learning so much about God and my faith that I can accept myself without feeling condemned by the words of imperfect people.
Everyone is scientifically, individually, emotionally and physically unique 

These are just a few examples of how rejection has an opportunity for great things in my life and I urge you to keep pushing through the “No’s”. Everyone is scientifically, individually, emotionally and physically unique and we are given these opportunities each day, take each opportunity, don’t live in fear of failure. Failure is a necessary tool and a mandatory requirement for strength and success.

Push through, Be kind to others and Be kind to yourself.

By Anonymous 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can get in touch via the website 


welcome! Please feel free to make comments and ask questions here. All comments will be verified by The Man Shed (TMS) before they are posted. Please keep your comments clean. Those which fail our house rules may be removed. If you see a post that is inappropriate, alert us by using the "Report Abuse" link and we will act accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment